Canberra Critics’ Circle Annual Awards
Canberra Museum and Gallery, 13 November 2018
The first filmmaker to receive the City News Artist of the Year, now in its 28th year, is Kim Beamish, honoured for his ‘deeply original and empathetic approach and sensitive observational style.’
Beamish’s The Tentmakers of Cairo, a documentary feature about a small community of male artisans, filmed in Egypt as the Arab Spring unfolded, won him the US’s Margaret Mead Filmmaker Award for artistic excellence and original cultural storytelling
His most recent film is Oyster, a feature-length study of a family of oyster farmers in Merimbula, for which he was director, cinematographer and co-producer with Pat Fiske.
See https://citynews.com.au/2018/arts-filmmaker-wins-artist-of-the-year-title/ for the full story.
Other Canberra Critics awards were:
- music artists, Eloise Fisher, Louise Page,Brian Triglone, Robyn Mellor, Handel in the Theatre, Canberra Symphony Orchestra, The Street Theatre and Goulburn Regional Conservatorium
- musical theatre artists Ylaria Rogers, Sophie Highmore, Max Gambale and Canberra Philharmonic Society
- dance artists Liz Lea, Alison Plevey and the Australian Dance Party, Michelle Heine, Emma Nikolic and Karen Brock
- theatre artists Imogen Keen, PJ Williams, Hayden Splitt, Michael Sparks and Karen Vickery
- writers Jacqui Malins, Robyn Cadwallader, Chris Hammer, Sam Hawke, Emma Adams and Zoya Patel
- visual artists Robert Boynes, Brenda L Croft, Valerie Kirk, Katie Haynes, Liz Coats, Peter Maloney and Canberra Museum and Gallery.