Hall School Museum and Heritage Centre
6 October to 15 December 2019
Non-indigenous settlement of the Ginninderra district began in the 1820s. This exhibition features eight early district properties within the parishes of Jeir, Wallaroo and Ginninderra, supplemented by accounts of the heritage of each building.
The exhibition presents the stories of how the land for these properties was acquired and of the people who lived there.
Since the Hall Primary School was closed in 2006, the Hall School Museum and Heritage Centre’s collection has expanded very significantly, and now includes a substantial volume of material pertaining to Hall-Ginninderra district history and heritage. Most recently, the Centre has become the home for Canberra historian Lyall Gillespie’s extensive collection.
Exhibition opens at 2pm on Sunday 6 October and then Thursdays from 9 – 12 and Sundays from 12 – 4. Hall Market Sundays 10 – 4.
Image: Homeleigh, located a short distance from the Village of Hall towards Yass on the Barton Highway. The land was first purchased in 1923 and the house built in 1928. Descendants still live in the original home